Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pepperoni Pizza Ring


My son turned 5 a few weeks ago and requested strawberry soup for his birthday lunch and pepperoni pizza for dinner.  I wanted to do something creative with the pepperoni pizza, but I still wanted it to be kid-friendly. I remembered that my son really enjoys taco rings, so I decided to do a pizza ring.  When I make taco rings, I usually use refrigerated crescent dough.  Lately I've been making my own bread for most things, so I wanted to make this with homemade pizza dough.  If you are short on time, feel free to use the crescent dough in this recipe.  I made a recipe of my favorite pizza dough and used the leftover dough to make white pizza later in the week.  The pizza ring turned out great.  I even left the pepperoni out of 2 rolls for my daughter.  We dipped the rolls in ranch dressing and had watermelon and corn on the cob as side dishes.  I had a very happy 5 year old that night!

I had a hard time describing how to fold the pizza ring without having step by step pictures.  For a great demonstration of how to fold the ring, see this video.

Pepperoni Pizza Ring
Makes 8 rolls, can easily be doubled

1 pound of pizza dough (or one roll of refrigerated crescent dough)
8 pieces of pepperoni, I like Applegate Farms the best
1 cup shredded mozzarella
Ranch dressing, for dipping

1) Roll dough into a 8 x 11 inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into two pieces. You will have two long rectangles. Cut each rectangle in half so that you have 4 squares.  Cut each square in half, diagonally.  You should end up with 8 triangles.
2) Arrange the triangles on a round pizza pan in a circle.  Let the sides overlap a little bit.
3) Top the wisest part of each triangle with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.  Fold over the top (outside) and tuck it under the bottom of the triangle.
4) Bake at 400 for 15 - 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment