Monday, May 16, 2011

Vegetarian Chili


Sometimes I feel like I always do the same things for Meatless Monday: black beans and eggs.  I wanted to try something new last week, so I  decided to try vegetarian chili.  I looked up some basic info on chili seasoning, bought some canned beans, and started experimenting.  This recipe ended up making a ton of chili.  Next time, I may leave out the pinto or kidney beans and cut down on the tomato sauce, just so I have a smaller recipe.  This tasted great.  My son and husband loved it (my daughter isn't really into beans). I served this with some fruit and muffins on the side.  It was a great meal and the leftovers were yummy!

Vegetarian Chili

1 bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can black beans (undrained)
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup Israeli couscous
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
salt and pepper, to taste
cheddar cheese

1) Heat oil in a large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat.  Add the garlic, onion, and pepper.  Saute for 5 minutes.
2) Add beans, couscous, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin, and chili powder to the saucepan. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
3) Remove lid and cook over medium heat for 10 - 30 minutes, or until the chili reaches the consistency you are looking for.  Season with salt and pepper.  Top with cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment