Friday, May 27, 2011

Buttery Salmon


This recipe does not really have butter in it. It is just the name my husband gave the recipe when I made it the first time.  My mom made salmon on the grill quite a bit when I was in high school, so when I went to college, I missed eating salmon.  When I moved out of the dorms and into an apartment, I was disappointed to learn that the George Foreman grill didn't do a great job with salmon.  I was determined to find a better recipe.  I sat down and searched for "salmon" at allrecipes.com.  A recipe called "Baked Salmon II" caught my eye after I read a review from a woman who said her kids liked the recipe.  I didn't have kids yet, but I figured that kid-friendly salmon would probably be tasty!  I also had (almost) all of the ingredients in the recipe, which is a plus when you are in college.  I made this for my husband a few months after we started dating and I'm still making it almost 10 years later.  It is always a hit when I make it.  Both of my kids really like it...there aren't many recipes that a 2 year old, 5 year old, and 2 adults all get excited about. The first time I made this recipe, I didn't have any lemon juice...but I had some mojo marinade, so I used that.  I've made it with the mojo and the lemon juice, but my husband and I both prefer it with the mojo.  I think it is just the memories of being a college student.  I've also kept the amount of oil and other ingredients the same as I've increased the amount of salmon I make.  It helps the flavor of the salmon come out a little more. The last time I made this, I was out of foil, so I just baked the salmon in a glass dish...it turned out great. If you want to cut down on the mess, go ahead and bake the salmon in foil.

Buttery Salmon
Adapted from All Recipes

2 cloves garlic, minced
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice (or mojo)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
12 - 16 ounces salmon

1) To make marinade: mix all of the ingredients, except for salmon, in a medium sized glass bowl.
2) Place salmon in a medium sized glass baking dish.  Cover with the marinade.
3) Refrigerate for at least one hour, turning occasionally.
4) Preheat oven to 375.
5) Transfer the salmon to a clean glass dish or baking sheet.  Top with marinade.
6) Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

1 comment:

  1. So wonderful ... one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete