Thursday, May 19, 2011

1 Head of Cabbage, 2 Recipes


I am just about done harvesting my red and green cabbage for the year.  I preferred the "Late Flat Dutch" variety of cabbage I grew last year to the "Early Jersey Wakefield" I grew this year.  The Wakefield seemed to be more prone to cracking.  It was also much smaller. I planted quite a few heads of red cabbage, most of them stopped growing after January and were really small.  I seem to have better luck with green cabbage than red cabbage and I'm not sure why. 
Last week I harvested my last head of green cabbage.  I used it to make two different recipes.  One is cooked and the other is a slaw.  They are both easy and taste great.  The confetti cabbage is a great side dish with fish, chicken, or sausage.  The slaw is great by itself or on top of fish tacos.  The recipe for the slaw calls for jicima. Sometimes I put it in and sometimes I don't.  It was pretty expensive when I went to the store last week, so I left it out.  After eating quite a bit of cabbage this year, I am looking forward to a break...but these were two great recipes for my last head of cabbage.




Confetti Cabbage


1/2 head cabbage, diced
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, diced
4 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth


1) Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic and green onions and saute for 5 minutes.
2) Add cabbage, red pepper, and chicken broth.  Stir to combine.  Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 






Green Cabbage, Mango, and Red Pepper Slaw with Citrus Vinaigrette


Slaw:
1 mango
1/4 medium-sized jicima (optional)
1/2 head thinly sliced green cabbage
1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
4 or 5 scallion greens, thinly sliced


Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lime juice
2 teaspoons cider or rice vinegar
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons honey
3 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil


1) Peel and cut the mango. Cut into 1/8 inch strips.
2) Cut jicima, if using, into 1/8 inch strips.
3) Combine all slaw ingredients.
4) Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients.
5) Pour over slaw just before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment