Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Slow Cooker Goulash


As my kiddos get older, my afternoons are getting busier and it's time to learn more about my slow cooker.  Right now I have 5 slow cooker recipes:  barbecue pulled pork, taco pulled pork, pot roast, calico beans,  and Italian beef.  I have one slow cooker cookbook, but it has so many recipes that it can be overwhelming (there are pages and pages of pot roast recipes). I borrowed a slow cooker cookbook from a friend a few months ago and finally had a chance to really look through it the other day.  I came across this recipe while I was meal planning and noticed that she'd tried it and written that it was "very good."  I trust her judgement, so I decided to try the recipe.  When I went to the store, lamb stew meat was cheaper than beef, so I bought the lamb.  It was my first time cooking or eating lamb.  It tasted a lot like beef.  My son didn't know the difference.  He still thinks I was joking when I said it was lamb. I used Hungarian half-sharp paprika in this recipe and it was pretty spicy.  My son had to dip his meat and carrots in quite a bit of sour cream.  If you don't like things too spicy, consider using sweet paprika or a mix of the Hungarian and sweet.

Slow Cooker Goulash
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

1 pound stew meat (beef or lamb)
4 medium carrots, sliced into 1 inch pieces
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups beef broth
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
3 cups cooked egg noodles
Sour cream

1) Combine meat, carrots, onions, and garlic in slow cooker.
2) In a medium bowl, combine beef broth, tomato paste, paprika, lemon zest, salt, caraway seed, black pepper, and bay leaf. Stir into vegetable and meat mixture.
3) Cover and cook on low 8 hours (4 hours if you have a newer slow cooker that overcooks things).
4) 30 minutes before you eat, add the red pepper.  Turn heat to high.
5) Serve over warm egg noodles. Top with sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment