Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Summer Lunches

I know that most of my readers (all 10 of you) are moms.  School is out in Brevard County, so for many people that means having to come up with fun, creative lunches.  My husband comes home for lunch most days, which is a huge blessing.  The tough part is that I came home from preschool pick-up 15 minutes before my husband came home for lunch.  I would like to say that I mastered the 15-minute lunch this year.  But I didn't.  It was really easy for me to get stuck in a rut with lunch.  Now that it is summer, I have a little extra time to make lunch.  I thought I would share some ideas for lunches that don't take too much time.  If it is a crazy day, don't feel bad if you hit a drive-thru.  We all do it :)


Kid-Friendly Lunch Ideas

  • Make extra taco meat for dinner and have burritos or nachos for lunch the next day.
  • Make (or buy) a second pizza crust and save it for pizza the next day
  • Grilled cheese sandwiches (I like to add ham or tomato to mine)
  • Tuna: salad, wraps, pita pocket sandwiches, melts, crackers. My son loves it when I give him a small butter spreader, tuna, crackers, and cheese and let him make his own tuna and crackers.
  • Rice and a can of black beans (Thank you, Shelley)
  • Frozen meatballs (homemade or store-bought) made into subs or spaghetti and meatballs
  • English muffin pizza.  I like to buy English muffins when they are BOGO and freeze them. I just take out what I need about 30 minutes before I want to start cooking. 
  • Pita bread pizza
  • Turkey and cheese roll-ups.  You could also use chicken, roast beef, or any other meat your family likes.
  • Homemade "lunchable:" cheese, crackers, and meat. 
  • Carrots and peanut butter.  Trust me, it's good and it fills you up! 
  • PBJ.  Try it with almond butter.
  • Pita bread stuffed with peanut butter, granola, strawberries, bananas, and honey.
  • Quesadillas.  You can make them with just cheese, beans, or leftover meat.
  • Black bean burgers (homemade or store bought)
  • Cheese tortellini with sauce.
  • Good side dishes are at our house are fruit, veggies, and cheese.   

No comments:

Post a Comment