Monday, May 9, 2011

Creamy Tomato Soup

My husband has been ordering tomato soup from restaurants lately. I've noticed that his favorite tomato soups are the creamier ones.  I like roasted red pepper added to my tomato soup.  I decided to combine his love of creamy tomato soup with my love of roasted red peppers.  I ended up using the roasted red peppers from a jar.  Sometimes they are cheaper than buying and roasting a red pepper on your own.  A jar of roasted red peppers is one of my staple convenience foods in the house.  They seem to come in handy quite a bit.  I prefer the "real thing,"  but when red peppers are expensive, or you are short on time, the ones from a jar work just fine.  I  topped the tomato soup with croutons and asiago cheese.  We had grilled cheese with tomato on the side.  It was a wonderful meal and I will definitely make the soup again.

Creamy Tomato Soup
Adapted from Food Network

4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 jar roasted red peppers, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
kosher salt
black pepper
Croutons and cheese for topping

1) Combine broth, tomatoes, and red peppers in a large saucepan over medium heat.  When the soup bubbles, whisk in the heavy cream.
2) Simmer over low  heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Use an immersion blender to make the soup creamy and smooth.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4) Serve with croutons and cheese on top.

1 comment:

  1. So glad I asked you about this! I'm adding it to my list of things to make. :-)

    ReplyDelete