Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chocolate Goop

There are wonderful cooks and great recipes that come from both sides of my family. I am so thankful that we don't have any "secret" recipes that people refuse to share.  We love to share our recipes with people.  My Mom's side of the family has a really nice family cookbook.  When I got married, my Great-Aunt Helen sent me a copy.  There are quite a few recipes I grew up eating in there and I've discovered quite a few new recipes from the cookbook.  My favorite chicken salad recipe (I promise I'll post it someday) and a wonderful broccoli cheese soup recipe are in the cookbook.  There is a recipe called "Aunt Helen's Chocolate Goop," that I've been wanting to make for a few years.  I always assumed it would be too hard, and usually was missing an ingredient or two.  This weekend, I looked at the recipe and realized it was really easy...and I had all but the evaporated milk.  When I went grocery shopping, I picked up a can of the evaporated milk.  It took less than 10 minutes to make the chocolate sauce.  It is so good!!! We brought some with us when we had dinner with friends on Sunday evening.  I picked up some ice cream and chocolate chip cookies from the store and we had wonderful sundaes.  I also made my husband a mocha with it on Monday morning.  I have some homemade mint syrup...and plans for peppermint mochas with a friend next week.  The recipe made just short of 1 quart of chocolate  sauce. I don't have any quart-sized mason jars, so I used 2 16-ounce jars.
I told my Mom I was making this recipe and she said "Once you make it, you'll never want the stuff from a bottle again."  She was right!


Aunt Helen's Chocolate Goop

4 squares unsweetened chocolate (I used Baker's)
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups white sugar (you can use less if you like darker chocolate)
1 12-ounce  can evaporated milk.

1) Melt butter and chocolate squares over low heat.
2) Add sugar. Stir well.
3) Slowly add milk and stir.  Simmer 2- 3 minutes.
4) Store in refrigerator.

Microwave instructions:
1) Melt butter and chocolate in microwave.
2) Add sugar.  Stir well.
3) Slowly add milk and stir.  Cook on high 2 - 3 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment