Monday, June 6, 2011

Watermelon Soup

As I mentioned in a previous post, my family loves chilled fruit soups.  When we were on our cruise, one of the soups we enjoyed was watermelon soup.  It was served on the first night when we were all tired from driving and the kiddos missing naptime.  I get tired of watermelon very easily...I am more of a berry person, but I really enjoyed the soup and so did my son.  Watermelon is in season in Florida right now, so I decided to make some watermelon soup for us.  We ate it after a morning of working in the garden.  It was refreshing and tasted great.  The recipe made about 5 cups of soup, which was enough for a side dish for 2 meals for us.  We had it with grilled cheese for a really nice meatless meal.
I used my food processor for this...and put way too much watermelon in it.  I had a huge mess on my hands.  Next time I will use a blender :)



Watermelon Soup

5 cups seedless watermelon, cut into chunks (about 1/4 of a large watermelon)
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 teaspoon chopped, fresh mint
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup cranberry juice
Greek yogurt
Additional honey for garnish (optional)

1) Place watermelon, cucumber, mint, ginger, honey, and cranberry juice in a blender. Puree until smooth.
2) Chill for at least 2 hours in fridge.
3) Top each bowl with Greek yogurt and honey before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment