Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fish Tacos

This is another one of those recipes where I tried something in a restaurant and thought "I could make this."  I've been making these for the past 4 years and we all love them.  You can use just about any white fish you want, but my favorite is mahi.  My kids aren't always up for the really spicy seasoning I use, so I usually season their fish with salt, pepper, seasoned salt, and garlic powder.  I made this for my husband's birthday, so I made salsa ranch, mango salsa, and black bean salsa to go with it.  Usually, I only make one salsa for it, but since it was a birthday dinner, I made an exception! You could easily use your favorite store-bought salsa, too.

Fish Tacos
serves 4
24 ounces mahi, or white fish of your choice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
blackening seasoning, to taste (I use Big Kevin's)
12 corn tortillas, warmed in the oven at 250 for 10 minutes (wrap in foil)
shredded lettuce
shredded cheese
salsa (mango, black bean, or your favorite)
southwest ranch or salsa mixed with your favorite ranch dressing

1) Heat butter and olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat until butter is melted and skillet is hot.
2) Season fish generously with blackening seasoning on both sides.
3) Add fish to skillet and cook for 5 - 7minutes on each side, until fish flakes with a fork.  You may want to reduce the heat to medium when you turn the fish.
4) When the fish is done, cut each piece into 3 strips.
5) Place a piece of fish in a corn tortilla and top with your choice of toppings.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm...where'd you get the mahi? Downtown Produce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up buying it frozen at Publix. They were having a sale where the frozen was $7.99 for 12 ounces. I usually end up buying mahi at DTP, because they charge by the pound and Publix usually charges by the piece for fresh Mahi.

    ReplyDelete