Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spinach and Strawberry Salad

This is one of my favorite salads.  There was a time where I really didn't enjoy spinach salads.  There was just something about the taste that I didn't like.  Then I bought a salad dressing book that said to pair a light vinaigrette with spinach.  I had been putting ranch and bleu cheese on my spinach salads and the flavors were competing with each other.  I came up with this salad when my daughter was a few months old and I needed a quick lunch.  My favorite dressing for this is honey djion vinaigrette, which is honey mustard dressing without the mayonnaise.  I also like blueberry vinaigrette on this salad. I hope to post the blueberry vinaigrette recipe when Florida blueberries are in season.  It is really easy to make a large amount of this salad.  I like to make it for baby showers and lunch with my friends.  If you want something a little more hearty, you could add some grilled chicken to the salad.



Strawberry and Spinach Salad
(makes one serving)

2 cups baby spinach
5 strawberries, sliced
1 small apple, sliced
2 tablespoons pecans (I like to use the glazed ones)
2 tablespoons raisins (I like to use a mix of raisins, golden raisins, and craisins)
1 ounce gouda or manchego cheese, diced
2 tablespoons of your favorite sweet vinaigrette
optional: a few blueberries if they are in season

1 comment: