Friday, March 18, 2011

Pound Cake


I am a cookbook junkie!  I have way too many cookbooks, but I love them all.  Some of my favorite cookbooks are collections of recipes put together by groups of people (churches, schools, family, etc.).  I have a family cookbook that my Great Aunt Helen gave me when I got married.  It is full of recipes from my Mom's side of the family.  Another cookbook I love is from the church I attended when I lived in Winter Park.  It is full of recipes that I ate at church suppers and brunches during my childhood...Things like hashbrown casserole, ambrosia (one of my favorite guilty pleasures), and quite a few desserts.  This pound cake recipe is from that cookbook.  I can picture the woman who submitted this recipe and smile when I think about her service to the church during the years I was there.  My mom always makes this when strawberries are in season and I remember having it as my birthday cake a few times when I was growing up (my birthday is during strawberry season).  This is an easy cake and I recommend making it while strawberries are in season!

Pound Cake

2 sticks butter, softened
2 cups sugar
5 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1) Cream butter and sugar.

2) Add eggs, one at a time, beating as you go.

3) Add flour, about 1/2 cup at a time.

4) When thoroughly mixed, add extract.

5) Pour into a greased loaf, bundt, or tube pan.

6) Place in a cold oven.  Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes.  Check after 40 minutes, not before.

No comments:

Post a Comment