Monday, March 14, 2011

Black Bean Frittata with Taco Potatoes


This frittata recipe came from my friend Shelley.  She likes to make it when she is going to a brunch and wants to bring a high-protein dish that is vegetarian-friendly (Shelley is not a vegetarian, but she thinks that everyone deserves a high-protein dish at a brunch).  This was my first time making a frittata on the stove-top.  I ended up putting it under the broiler for a few minutes, just to set the top.  I had some potatoes that needed to be used, so I made some roasted potatoes with taco seasoning.  They turned out great!  I was worried about how my 4 year old would feel about eating a frittata, so I told him we were having "cheesy scrambled egg casserole with black beans."  He tried it and loved it.  I prefer this frittata with rotel or salsa inside, but since I wanted my son to eat it, I put it on the side. 

Black Bean Frittata

2 tablespoons butter
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
8 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
1 small can of rotel
optional: green onions and sour cream added to the top before serving

1) Heat a large, ovenproof skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.  Add butter and brush bottom and sides of the skillet with the butter.
2) Mix the eggs and milk until well-blended.  Stir in the black beans, cheese, and rotel.
3) Add the egg mixture to the skillet.  Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to cook covered for 8 minutes.
4) Place under the broiler for about 2 minutes, or until the center is set.


Taco Potatoes

3 gold potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons olive or peanut oil
2 tablespoons taco seasoning, or more, to taste
salt and pepper

1) Preheat oven to 425.
2) Toss potatoes in oil, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Place on a well-greased baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat.
3) Bake for 20 minutes, stir, and bake an additional 20 minutes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment