Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cube Steak Sandwich

This sandwich isn't pretty, but don't judge it based on its looks.  This sandwich is very simple and tastes great.  I think that chicken-fried steak is still my favorite use of cube steak, but this sandwich comes in as a close second.  This recipe came from the Pioneer Woman's blog.  I came across the recipe in her cookbook and then I saw a friend post the link to this recipe on Facebook.  I love the Pioneer Woman because so many of her recipes are similar to things I grew up eating and her cooking style is very similar to mine.  I'm learning that if you didn't grow up in the Midwest, or have family that lives there, you probably didn't grow up eating a lot of cube steak.  Even though I grew up in Florida, I have family in Iowa and Oklahoma, so grew up eating cube steak occasionally at home and on vacation.  It really is a tasty cut of meat, and it is usually pretty inexpensive.  I used 3/4 pound of cube steak for 3 sandwiches, but you could easily use more meat. I decided to add some muenster cheese to the sandwich and I'm glad I did.  The sandwich was already really flavorful, but the cheese added a little something extra.  My 4 year old ate his half sandwich that I  made for him. I originally left the onions off of his, but he added some and ate them with the sandwich.  I didn't make my own bread for this sandwich.  I'm still learning how to shape bread, so I bought some really good steak rolls.  I am going to provide the link to the Pioneer Woman's recipe instead of typing it up on my own.  Her instructions are great and I didn't make any changes to her recipe, other than adding cheese and the amount of meat I used. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment