Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fruit and Nut Bars

4 PB&J, 8 Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and 4 Apricot-Almond

I started eating Larabars a few months ago.  I really like them, but they are expensive!  I can get them at Sam's Club for a good price, but the flavors are limited.  My kids also enjoy eating Larabars.  Since they are pretty big, I usually split them in half and let the kids share one (or my daughter takes half of mine from me).  I looked into buying the smaller size, but they were expensive- especially since there aren't any in stores around here, so I would also have to pay shipping.  A friend of mine sent me a recipe from Enlightened Cooking for homemade Lara-Type Bars.  I found a good price on dates and decided to make my own.  I made PB&J, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Apricot-Almond.  When I made the PB&J, I wasn't paying attention and ended up adding more dried cherries and dates than the recipe called for.  I think I liked the texture better with the extra dried fruit.   The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Apricot-Almond would have been better if I'd used more dried fruit.  They turned out a little too nutty and crumbly.   I am posting the proportions that I plan on using next time. I really like the taste of all the bars.  If you are interested in other flavors, check out the Enlightened Cooking blog, she has a great list of flavors.

PB&J Bars

1/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup dates, chopped (you can also use raisins)
1/3 cup peanuts

1) In a food processor, chop the cherries and dates until they form a soft paste.  Move to a mixing bowl.
2) Place the peanuts in the food processor and pulse until well chopped.
3) Add the peanuts to the dates and cherries in the mixing bowl. Knead until the nuts are mixed throughout the dates and cherries.
4) Form into 2 large or 4 small bars.  You can also roll into balls.
5) Wrap in plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat them..



Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars

1/3 cup dates, chopped (you can also use raisins)
1/3 cup almonds
2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of cinnamon

1) Chop the dates in a food processor until they form a soft paste.  Place in a mixing bowl.
2) Chop the nuts and chocolate in the food processor, until they are very finely chopped. Add to the mixing bowl.
3) Add the vanilla and cinnamon to the bowl. Knead until the nuts and chocolate are mixed throughout the dates.
4) Form into 2 large or 4 small bars.  You can also roll into balls.
5) Wrap in plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat them.



Apricot-Almond Bars

6 tablespoons chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup dates, chopped (you can use raisins)
1/3 cup almonds

1) In a food processor, chop the apricots and dates until they form a soft paste.  Move to a mixing bowl.
2) Place the almonds in the food processor and pulse until well chopped.
3) Add the almonds to the dates and apricots in the mixing bowl. Knead until the nuts are mixed throughout the dates and apricots.
4) Form into 2 large or 4 small bars.  You can also roll into balls.  
5) Wrap in plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment