Monday, October 4, 2010

My Favorite Salad Dressing

I started making my own salad dressing about a year ago.  I was tired of the long ingredient lists, high fructose corn syrup, and salad dressing companies that liked to remove fat and add sugar.  I remembered my mom making quite a bit of our salad dressing when I was growing up, so I asked her for some recipes.  One of the recipes she passed along to me was for honey mustard dressing.  This dressing was a hit from the first time I made it. We put this dressing on everything now.  It is really good with broccoli.  I like it more than broccoli with ranch dressing.  One of my favorite ways to enjoy this dressing is on a salad with apples and cheddar cheese.  If you aren't doing a meatless meal, add some bacon or chicken to the salad.

This dressing also makes a wonderful honey dijon vinaigrette if you leave out the mayonnaise.  Just make sure that you have a really large jar to put this in.  I like to use an old spaghetti sauce jar.  A pint jar isn't quite big enough.  I have made one change to this recipe.  It originally called for one teaspoon of onion, but I was out of onion one day and added one clove of fresh, minced garlic.  I really liked it with the garlic, so I decided to start using it in the recipe.

Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise  (If you want to make a vinaigrette, leave out the mayonnaise)
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 cup honey
pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 cup neutral tasting oil

Mix all ingredients, except for oil until smooth.  Slowly whisk in oil until it is combined with the other ingredients.  Shake well before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny. I logged onto facebook at the beginning of naptime to get this recipe. Then I was coming here to get your sweet potatoe black bean burrito recipe. Trying to update my cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this tonight on a potatoe salad. I threw in some bacon, green onions, salt, and pepper. It was really good.

    ReplyDelete