Monday, April 11, 2011

Collards and Mixed Veggies


The garden was pretty productive last week.  I was able to harvest all of our vegetables for 2 meals.  This first harvest was collards and mixed vegetables.  The second harvest was kale and chard that I used to do some Indian cooking.  I will post the Indian recipe later this week.  Today I will show the collards and  mixed vegetables.
This is my first time growing (and eating) collard greens.  Here is one of two plants in the garden, growing next to a sweet potato vine. The picture was taken after I harvested quite a few greens.


Here are the collards after they were washed and chopped.

I substituted collard greens for cabbage in my favorite cabbage recipe. It is impossible to make cooked greens of any kind look pretty. They tasted great!


The day I harvested the collard greens, I also harvested carrots, green beans, yellow beans, and peas.

After washing the veggies, I shelled the peas and chopped everything into bite-sized pieces.  To keep the carrots purple, I didn't peel them, I just scrubbed them really well.  I cooked the veggies in boiling water for 5 minutes, then topped them with Kerrygold garlic and herb butter. They were delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment