Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chicken Saag with Naan


This was my first time cooking or eating Indian food.  I can honestly say that I enjoyed it!  My friend Lois sent me a recipe for Indian saag.  I had never even heard of it, but I saw that it used greens that were growing in my garden.  I harvested some kale and some swiss chard for the recipe.


I also used some leftover roasted chicken.  Using chicken that was already cooked really saved time on this recipe and allowed me to give some attention to the naan. The recipe called for a seeded green chilie.  I happened to have a small poblano pepper in the garden, so I harvested that and used it in the recipe.


My kids really enjoyed the chicken and the naan.  They weren't excited about the greens, but I am happy that they liked the chicken and the naan.

Chicken Saag
Adapted from All Recipes
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
1 green chilie pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons (or more) turmeric
1/2 pound chopped kale
1/2 pound chopped swiss chard (can use spinach)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken

1) In a large skillet or wok, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon of cumin, green chilie, garlic, turmeric, and chicken.  Stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2) Add greens, remaining cumin, and coriander. Stir and cook covered over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Add water to keep the greens moist.


Naan
Adapted from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day
(makes 4 naan)

1/2 pound of master recipe from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day
Ghee

1) Divide dough into 4 balls.  Roll each ball into a circle about 1/16-inch thick (about 8 or 9 inches in diameter).
2) Heat a large, cast-iron skillet over medium heat.  Add 1 tablespoon of ghee.
3) Place one naan into the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Flip.  Fry, covered for 2 - 5 minutes longer, or until brown on both sides.
4) Repeat with remaining naan.


No comments:

Post a Comment