Thursday, April 21, 2011

Blackened Chicken Alfredo


I love alfredo sauce.  Until I made it for this recipe, I assumed that it was too hard to make, so I either bought the stuff in a jar, the dry pasta and sauce mixes, or just waited until I was at a restaurant that served it .  When I decided to try it on my own, I posted something on Facebook asking for recipes for alfredo sauce.  My friend Kathleen sent this to me.  It was her mom's recipe and she always loved it growing up.  It was exactly what I was looking for.  It had very simple ingredients and was easy to make.  The hardest part was grating all the cheese for the sauce.  If you are short on time, wait until the good grated parmesan (not the stuff in the green can) goes on sale and use that.

Blackened Chicken Alfredo

1/2 pound penne or ziti, cooked according to instructions on package
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons blackening seasoning, such as Big Kevin's Bayou Blend
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 stick of butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 tomato, chopped
shredded parmesan, if desired

1) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Sprinkle blackening seasoning over both sides of the chicken breast halves.
2) Cook the chicken for 5 - 7 minutes on each side, or until chicken is fully cooked. Set aside.
3) In a large skillet or saucepan, heat butter over medium heat.  Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
4) Add cream.  Stir to mix it with the butter.  Slowly add the cheese and stir until the sauce bubbles and thickens.
5) Add a small amount of the sauce to the beaten egg to temper the egg.  Add egg to the sauce.  Cook for 2 minutes longer.  Stir in parsley.
6) Add pasta to the sauce and stir.
7) Slice the chicken.
8) Combine chicken and pasta.  Top with tomatoes and shredded cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment