Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ghee

I decided to try some Indian cooking last week, which meant that I needed to make some Ghee.  I knew it was very simple to make (and much cheaper to make it on my own).  Kerrygold Irish butter finally went on sale, so I picked up a pound of it to make the Ghee.  The only ingredient you need is some butter.

I melted the butter over medium-low heat.


After the butter was melted, it bubbled and became white and foamy. I allowed the butter to simmer for about  10 minutes.  The top became golden -brown and the sediment on the bottom became an amber color.  The butter also went from being yellow to a deeper golden color.


I used a mesh strainer and a coffee filter to get any sediment and milk solids out of the Ghee.  I am storing it in a mason jar in my fridge.  The color is a little bit off in this picture.  The ghee is actually less brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment