Monday, April 11, 2011

The Chicken That Wouldn't Cook

Sometimes you plan a wonderful meal and things end up not going the way you planned.  I roast a chicken about every 6 weeks.  A whole, roasted chicken is cheap and we usually get 2 or 3 meals out of it plus 6 to 8 cups of chicken stock.   My mom gave me a frozen 5 pound chicken and I was so excited about cooking it.  The plan was to roast the chicken and have collards and mixed veggies from the garden.  I put the chicken in the oven at 4:30, thinking it would be ready between 6:00 and 6:30.  At 5:30, the meat thermometer was reading 145, I thought that was a little high, so I moved it to a thicker part of the chicken.  It dropped down to 95 degrees.  I knew dinner would be a little bit late at this point.  At 6:15, the chicken was nowhere near done, so I went ahead and made the vegetables.  My husband and I sat down with the kids at 6:30 and had the veggies, while the kids ate veggies, string cheese, and cantaloupe.  At 7:00, the chicken was finally done.  It was a great chicken.  Very moist, especially when you consider that it took 2 and a half hours to cook!  My husband and I had some chicken and the kids, who were full at this point, had a few  bites.  I ended up using the rest of the chicken in some chicken salad, chicken saag, and to make some chicken stock.  I'm still not sure what went wrong that night.  It may be the oven temperature.  I'll try again in a few weeks and hopefully everything will go a little bit better!

No comments:

Post a Comment