Monday, August 1, 2011

Spaghetti with a Fried Egg

I first tried a variation on this recipe a few months ago, after reading about it in Cooks Illustrated.  The article I read scared me.  It went on and on about the importance of timing the spaghetti and the egg just right. I was pretty scared the first time I made it.  It was also a very white meal.  Just spaghetti, bread crumbs, eggs, and parmesan cheese.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm learning that I'm not cooking for gourmet chefs and foodies, I'm cooking for my family and friends...I don't have to follow all the "rules."  I decided to try and make this again and I added some veggies for color.  I left out the bread crumbs because I felt like they didn't really add anything.  I also left out the parmesan cheese because I felt like there were enough flavors in the dish.  My experimenting and relaxing paid off!  It went from something my husband thought was "ok" to something he truly enjoyed and will gladly eat again.  My son even loved the pasta with egg yolk.  I used eggs from a local farm for this.  Since the yolks stay very runny in this recipe, I would recommend either farm fresh eggs or organic eggs.  Feel free to substitute the vegetables in this recipe.  I used up things that were in my fridge.

Spaghetti with a Fried Egg
serves 2

4 oz spaghetti
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 red onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 handful matchstick carrots
1/2 bag spinach
2 eggs
salt and pepper, to taste

1) Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain
2) While you are waiting for the water to boil, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and saute 10 minutes. Add bell pepper, matchstick carrots, and crushed red pepper. Saute 5 minutes.  Stir in spinach until wilted.  Set aside.
3) When the spaghetti has 5 minutes of cooking time left, heat a large skillet over medium heat.  After 5 minutes, add 2 tablespoons butter. When butter is melted, crack the eggs into the skillet.  Cover, and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
4) To serve: place half the drained pasta a bowl.  Top with half of the vegetables, and 1 egg. Add salt and pepper to taste. Repeat for second bowl.
5) Break the yolk as soon as you sit down.

No comments:

Post a Comment