Monday, August 29, 2011

Chicken Broth


My mom taught me how to make chicken broth when I was 13 years old.  Now I can't throw away perfectly good chicken bones!  I generally do not buy a chicken just to make broth. Instead, I try to save bones from cut chicken pieces, or use the carcass when I make a roasted chicken.  Because of the gelatin in the chicken bones, the broth will seem like jell-o when it cools. That is a good thing! It is full of all kinds of good-for-you stuff you won't find in a can or box of broth.  I am posting the directions using a slow cooker.  If you don't have one, cook on the stove top for a minimum of 4 hours. Feel free to add more veggies or herbs to your broth.  This is the combination that my family likes best.

Chicken Broth
Makes about 6 cups

1 whole chicken carcass from a roasted or grilled chicken (or several breast, leg, back, and neck bones)
2 carrots, scrubbed and cut in half
2 stalks celery, cut in half
Celery leaves from the center of the celery
1 onion, cut into 4 large pieces
1 turnip, cut in half
5 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
8 - 10 cups of water
2 teaspoons seasoned salt 

1) Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 8 - 12 hours. 
2) Pour the broth through a strainer to get any large pieces of  chicken or peppercorns out of the broth. Add any additional salt and pepper to taste.
3) Store covered in fridge over night. If you want to skim off the fat, just remove with a spoon. It will rise to the top.
4) Freeze any unused broth in the freezer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment