Monday, February 7, 2011

Loaded Sweet Potatoes

I stumbled upon this meatless recipe after a friend sent me a recipe for homemade larabars.  I realized that the blog contained quite a few vegetarian recipes, so I looked around for Meatless Monday ideas. I came across a recipe for Black Bean Chili-Topped Sweet Potatoes.  I bookmarked it and knew I had to make it as soon as possible. I already knew we liked the combination of sweet potatoes and black beans, so I was pretty confident this meal would be a hit.  I decided to make my own black beans this time.  I used Lysander's black bean soup mix and added 3 cubes of sofrito from my freezer.  This meal was delicious and I can't wait to make it again!

Loaded Sweet Potatoes
Adapted from Enlightened Cooking

4 sweet potatoes
2 cups black beans
1/2 cup cheese
1/2 cup salsa
spicy taco seasoning, I used Penzys Salsa Salad Seasoning (optional)

1) Preheat oven to 350.  Wash sweet potatoes and use a fork to make a few holes in the potatoes.  Place potatoes on a baking sheet and cook for 1 hour, or until soft.
2) Heat black beans over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
3) Cut each sweet potato in half.  Top each sweet potato with 1/2 cup of black beans, 2 tablespoons of cheese, 2 tablespoons of salsa, and taco seasoning (if using).

No comments:

Post a Comment