Monday, February 14, 2011

Jambalaya Pasta

Since it is Valentine's Day, I am going to post one of my husband's favorite meals instead of doing something meatless.  I had this dish for the first time at a restaurant called Semolina when I was in college.  I didn't eat there very often because of the location, but I always enjoyed the food.  A few years ago, my friend Shelley invited me over for Jambalaya Pasta.  She has so many wonderful cajun recipes and I always enjoy her company, so I accepted the invitation!  When I saw the recipe, I was excited to see that it was from Semolina.  This is a pretty long, involved recipe, so I am just going to post the link to the recipe.  I used shrimp and hot Italian sausage for the meat in this recipe.  I also used linguine as the pasta because I had an open box that I wanted to use up. I didn't have any taso, so I left that out. I have never made it with taso and it always turns out great.  You can be creative with this recipe.  Feel free to change the meats, add more veggies, or use a different pasta.  Just make sure you don't skip the cheese.  The smoked gouda is really important!  The toughest part is the creole sauce.  It makes quite a bit more than you need, but it freezes really well.  I know that Shelley has made cajun pizza with it before.  I read variations of the recipe online that called for canned tomato sauce with hot sauce added to it.  I think that it is worth the time to make the creole sauce.  It could easily be cut in half.  I like to make the creole sauce the day before I make the pasta.  I froze the leftover sauce in freezer bags so that I can make more jambalaya pasta or maybe even some cajun pizza.  I'll have to get more ideas from Shelley!

No comments:

Post a Comment