Friday, February 18, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Soup

I've been neglecting my blog lately because the whole family has been sick, so I haven't been doing very much blog-worthy cooking.  My poor husband got sick on Superbowl Sunday, so I had to change our menu for that night.  The original plan was pizza night and I was going to make buffalo chicken pizza for my husband and I.  My friend Shawna posted a recipe for buffalo chicken soup on her blog.  Since I had all of the ingredients on hand, I decided to make it.  This is such an easy and tasty recipe.  It is also the perfect recipe for someone with a cold...just add a little more buffalo sauce to clear out your sinuses!


Buffalo Chicken Soup
Adapted from Mom Makes and My Fiance Likes It, So It Must Be Good

2 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks of celery, sliced
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 to 1 cup of your favorite Buffalo Wing Sauce (I used 1/4 cup and added more to my bowl)
1 cup shell pasta
blue cheese for topping

1) In a medium bowl, add flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken chunks and set aside.

2) In a dutch oven over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the chicken and set aside again.

3) Add remaining tablespoon of butter to pot and add vegetables. Cook until soft and translucent, about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4) Add back in the chicken, chicken stock, hot sauce, and shells. Cook until noodles becomes soft. The longer you let it sit, the spicier it will get!

5) Top with blue cheese.

1 comment: