Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Family Favorite

This recipe came from my Uncle Jim.  He was talking about it the last time he was in Florida and it sounded wonderful, so I decided to try it. I wrote the recipe down on a post-it over a year ago and managed to lose the post-it shortly after I made it the first time.  The recipe ends up being a little bit different every time I make it. The original recipe did not call for the mushrooms or tomatoes, but my husband loves mushrooms and I love roasted campari tomatoes, so I added them.  I usually use red potatoes and cut them into quarters, but Publix had a bag of small multi-colored potatoes on sale.  They were pretty small, so I didn't cut them.  The purple potatoes are great in this recipe.  The leftovers are great with eggs, as a breakfast casserole, or thrown into chicken broth and turned into a quick soup. If you don't like spicy food, make this with mild sausage and leave out the red pepper flakes. This recipe will easily serve 4 people.

Roasted Sausage and Potatoes
1 package hot italian sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
2 bell peppers, cut into one inch pieces
1 small onion, cut into large chunks
1 small package of mushrooms, cut in half
6 campari tomatoes, cut in half
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper

1) Preheat oven to 425
2) In a large bowl, combine the sausage, potatoes, peppers, and onions.  Add the olive oil, italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir to coat the sausage mixture.
3) Pour the mixture onto a large baking pan and spread it out to make a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
4) Stir and add the mushrooms.  Bake an additional 15 - 25 minutes, or until sausage is completely cooked and the potatoes are starting to get crispy.
5) Add the tomatoes and cook 5 minutes longer.

1 comment: