Thursday, September 30, 2010

Changing Recipe

Changing a baking recipe can be really scary.  I always worry that I am going to do something that causes the bread, cookies, or cake to go flat or taste funny.  I've been wanting to experiment with the master recipe from "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" for a few weeks.  I found some asiago cheese that was a great price and decided to add that to the bread.  I added about 1/3 cup of diced asiago to the dough while I was mixing and then added 1/4 cup shredded asiago to the top of the bread right before I baked it. I also made some "everything" bagel seasoning a few weeks ago and thought that might go well with the master recipe.  I sprinkled 1 tablespoon of my homemade seasoning, which consisted of equal parts minced dried garlic, minced dried onions, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and caraway seeds into the dough.  I also added an extra teaspoon of the garlic into the dough.  Right before I put the bread in the oven, I generously sprinkled the top of the bread with more seasoning.  The bread turned out great. If you have a basic white bread recipe that you love, go ahead and experiment.  Add a new twist to an old favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment