Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lucky Number 13

I planted the only 3 tomato seedlings that survived all the the rain we had a few weeks ago.  They were pretty sad when I planted them, but I am happy to report that they have grown close to 6 inches since they went into the ground!  The survivors were one each of the striped cavern, green sausage, and yellow pear.  I went to a local nursery and picked up a 4 pack of roma and a 4 pack of sweet 100s.  I saw a big rainbow that I couldn't pass up, so I bought that one too.  It turns out that the big rainbow had 2 plants in it.  I ended up planting a total of 13 tomato plants in one day.  I told my husband I would be happy if 6 of them survived.  Well, almost 2 weeks later, I still have 13 healthy tomato plants.  I am going to have to invest in some more tomato cages.
My cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and kale seedlings are doing great.  They are in a sheltered area in the back yard.  They are getting enough sun to grow, but escaping some of the heat. I picked up some kale at the nursery the other day because I really like homegrown kale.  It is so much better than store bought, in my opinion.  I am looking forward to having 2 different varieties.
Both of my eggplants are looking so much better than they were a few weeks ago.  I think they just needed a nice pruning, some fertilizer, and low 90s instead of high 90s during the day.
I hope to have some good pictures of my peppers soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment