Thursday, September 9, 2010

Garden Update

For the first time ever, I started seeds on time.  I started my tomato seeds a few weeks ago so that they would be ready to go into the ground this weekend.  I ended up with 5 different varieties of tomatoes. Originally, I planned on only 4 plants- 2 striped cavern and 2 green sausage tomatoes.  When I was getting my seeds out, I found a few yellow pear seeds, a package of valenciano that I got free at the EPCOT Flower and Garden Festival, and a package of Oregon spring tomato seeds that I got through a seed of the month club.
I started everything indoors and even repotted a few after I moved them outdoors.  Things were looking great!  Then the rain started.  Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday brought a ton of rain to our area.  I even went out and moved the plants so they would have some shelter from the rain.  Yesterday I moved them out into the sun.  While I was out today, we had about 2 hours of heavy rain.  My tomatoes look really sad right now.  Some of them may do OK once I get them in the ground.  At least my golden zucchini look great. My guess is that tomorrow will bring a trip to my favorite place- the South Brevard Nursery!

Yesterday I started my first round cabbage, broccoli, and kale seeds indoors.  I know it is a good time, but it is hard to think about planting cool weather veggies when it is so hot outside.
The only things in the garden right now are some ancho peppers, garden sunshine peppers, 2 types of eggplant, rosemary, basil, Malabar spinach, and a ton of wild vincas.
I hope the weather is nice this weekend so that I can get the rest of my peppers, zucchini, and tomatoes planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment