Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Steak Fajitas


I used to make fajitas quite a bit, but after my kids were born tacos and burritos just seemed easier because I didn't have to make a marinade earlier in the day.  I had 1.5 pounds of sirloin, so I knew it would easily make 2 meals for my family.  I decided to make fajitas with half of the sirloin.  They were a hit.  My son, who is sometimes hesitant about "new" things, made himself a huge fajita and ate all of it.  I forgot how easy fajitas really are, as long as you plan ahead and marinate the steak.

Steak Fajitas
Makes 6 fajitas

Marinade:
1/4 cup lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ancho chilie powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)

Fajitas
1/2 to 3/4 pound sirloin, sliced thin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 green bell pepper, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 sweet yellow onion, julienned
Lettuce, shredded
Tomato, diced
Colby Jack cheese, shredded
Sour Cream
6 fajita-sized tortillas

1) Mix marinade ingredients and pour over sirloin.  Allow to sit in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
2) Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
3) Add peppers and onions.  Saute for 5 minutes.
4) Add sirloin and saute for 3 - 5 minutes, depending on how you like your sirloin.
5) Serve on tortillas and top with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment