Friday, October 14, 2011

Yellow Rice and Chicken

This is one of those meals I love to make because it is simple, I usually have the ingredients on hand, and my husband and kids love it.  I've watched shows on the Food Network about how to do this the authentic way, in one pot, seasoning your own rice, and using the chicken on the bone.  I honestly love my recipe and it's so easy that I don't really want to complicate it.  I remember eating "mojo chicken" and yellow rice quite a bit growing up...now I know why my mom made it.  It is so easy and everyone likes it.  If you don't live in an area that sells mojo marinade (it is usually found on the "ethnic foods" aisle of the grocery store), use a tequila lime or other citrus marinade for the chicken.  If you do not like boneless, skinless chicken breast, substitute your favorite cut of chicken, just make sure you marinate it.  I started adding peas to this recipe when my husband mentioned that he liked peas with it.  He also loves green olives added to it...but green olives are not very kid friendly, so I leave them out.  My favorite side dishes to have with this are fried sweet plantains (recipe coming soon) and a canned black beans.  You can even mix the black beans with the chicken and rice if you are feeling adventurous.

Yellow Rice and Chicken
1 large bag of yellow rice
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup mojo marinade
Olive oil
1 1/2 cups frozen peas

1) Marinate chicken in mojo for at least 1 hour.
2) Cook yellow rice according to package directions.  I usually cook my yellow rice in chicken broth.
3) While rice is cooking, saute chicken breast in olive oil until done (about 10 minutes)
4) Cook frozen peas according to package directions.
5) When rice is done cooking, combine rice, chicken, and peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment