Monday, October 31, 2011

Overnight Apple Pie Oatmeal

A friend of mine posted this recipe last October.  I finally made it at the end of September.  I'm sad I waited so long to make it.  It was easy, my kids loved it, my husband and I loved it, and it was a recipe the kids could help with (that seems to really help my kids try new things). I was never a fan of oatmeal when I was growing up.  I eventually learned to like flavored instant oatmeal, then moved on to flavoring my own quick cook oats.  This was my first time trying steel cut oats.  They were great and I know I will be making them again...especially when there are so many yummy varieties of apples in season!

Overnight Apple Pie Oatmeal
Adapted from Mom Makes
Makes 4 servings

1 cup steel cut oats
1 3/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I used coconut sugar and it turned out great)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large apple, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)

1) In an nonmetal bowl with a cover, combine oats, milk brown sugar, applesauce, cinnamon, and salt.  Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 24 hours.

2) Transfer oatmeal mixture to a medium-sized saucepan. Stir in 1 cup of the apples (save the rest for topping the oatmeal). Heat just to boiling. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, or until oatmeal reaches desired consistency. If you like thinner oatmeal, add more milk.

3) Spoon into 4 bowls and top with remaining apples. I also added a tiny bit of cinnamon sugar to the top of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment