Monday, January 10, 2011

Pearl Couscous

I started eating couscous about 3 years ago, after I came across a recipe that looked like fun.  I don't know why I stopped eating it, but for some reason I stopped putting it on our menu.  A few weeks ago, I realized that I hadn't started the rice for our dinner yet and that dinner would be ready in 15 minutes.  I went rummaging through the pantry and found some couscous and remembered that it took very little time to cook, so I made it.  My kids loved it, so I decided to do more with it.  I found some whole wheat pearl (also called Israeli) couscous  when I was shopping the other day.  I mixed it with some peppers, onions, garlic, and tomato for a tasty meatless dinner.

Pearl Couscous
1 cup whole wheat pearl couscous
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 plum tomato, chopped
shredded Romano cheese

1) Bring water to a boil; add couscous and salt.  Cover saucepan and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes.
2) While couscous is cooking, heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic, bell pepper, and onion.  Saute 5 - 10 minutes, or until peppers are tender.  Add tomato and mix with other ingredients.
3) Combine pepper mixture with couscous.  Top with Romano cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment