Monday, January 17, 2011

Eggs and Veggie for Cheryl

A few weeks ago, my one of my best friends in the entire world, Cheryl, moved to California.  I've known Cheryl for 11 years and lived with her for 2 years in college.  I always loved watching her cook because she would just throw fresh ingredients together and make a great meal.  I remember one evening during my senior year of college where I was making a steak on my George Foreman Grill.  She came home and started heating up some frozen stir-fry vegetables.  She offered to share some veggies with me in exchange for some of my steak and we ended up making some wonderful teriyaki steak wraps together.
After I got married, Cheryl and I continued to see each other (and cook together) quite a bit.  In the last year, she has taught my husband and I about the joys of putting a fried egg on top of just about anything.  My friend Shelley sparked my interest in eggs when she invited me over for black beans topped with salsa, cheese, and a fried egg.  I told Cheryl about it, and on one of her visits, I watched her make quite a few fun egg dishes.
When Cheryl moved, I wanted to celebrate her new job by creating a recipe for her.  I came up with a recipe that seemed like fun and invited Shelley over to try it.  We both loved it and I decided it should be Cheryl's special recipe.  I decided to use leftover potatoes in this because Cheryl's egg dishes usually involved leftovers.  Congratulations on your new job, Cheryl :) 

Cheryl's Eggs and Veggies
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup leftover roasted potatoes
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 roma tomato, chopped
1 handful chopped kale
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 fried egg, yolk still runny

1) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the potatoes, red pepper, onion, and garlic, and saute until potatoes are warm and peppers are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
2) Turn off the heat and stir in the tomatoes and kale.  Stir occasionally until kale is wilted. You will want to start frying your egg in a separate pan at this time.
3) Place the potato mixture on a plate.  Top with parmesan cheese and a fried egg.  Break the yolk as soon as you put it on top of the potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment