Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Trip To The Garden With The Kids

Today my son had a ton of extra energy after lunch and asked me if he could go outside.  I grabbed my daughter and shoes for everyone and we headed outside to play with my son's frisbee.  Somehow, we all ended up in the garden instead.  My son counted plants and walked around to see which plants were producing goodies for us.  He was excited about all of the different colors and sizes of peppers.  We found quite a few tomatoes of different sizes and shapes.  We also found a nice, big black beauty eggplant.  My son was thrilled and he told me that he "loved eggplant."  He will eat eggplant parm, but he's never been too excited about eggplant creole or roasted vegetable paninis.  The eggplant will be ready to harvest in a few days, so I guess I'll soon know if he loves eggplant or not. 
As I was walking through the garden, I started to get really excited.  I have a ton of kale right now, quite a few tomatoes, and peppers coming out of my ears.  I've been eating the peppers as snacks lately, but other than that, I've been in a transitional phase of gardening, where there just isn't a lot to harvest.  Soon, I'll be able to go out to the garden, pick something, bring it inside, and cook it.  I can't wait to do it!  It is one of my favorite things about gardening.  This year I'll get to blog about it.  Bring on the kale chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment