Friday, March 16, 2012

Simple Salmon

We love salmon. I've been wanting to find a recipe that is a little lighter than my usual salmon recipe. This is about as light and simple as it gets.  It's also easy- no marinating and no sauce to make.  The first time I made this, I used 1 pound of salmon for the 4 of us.  My son almost cried when we told him that he couldn't have seconds because there wasn't enough salmon.  I finally understand why cookbooks tell you to plan on 6 ounces of fish per person. I buy a little extra salmon for 2 reasons: 1) I remove the skin, and I'm not good at that, so we lose a little bit of salmon, and 2) we have a dog who loves table scraps.  When I made this last week, I had 1.9 pounds of salmon. All 4 of us ate as much as we wanted and Lucy (our dog) ate less dog food that night because she got a nice piece of salmon.  Next time I will shoot for 1.5 pounds. I use wild salmon, but that is just what my husband and I prefer. The market where I bought my fish charged $1 more per pound for the wild salmon than it did for the farm raised. Our side dishes were corn on the cob and roasted potatoes cut to look like thick potato chips. I don't have exact amounts for the seasoned salt or lemon pepper, use the amount that looks right to you. You can always add more if you need to.

Simple Salmon
serves 4
24 ounces of salmon, skin removed
2 tablespoons oil (I used grapeseed)
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 teaspoon lemon pepper 

1) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 4 minutes. Sprinkle half of the seasoned salt and lemon pepper evenly over one side the salmon. 
2) Cook the salmon, seasoned side down for 5 minutes. Season the other side with the remaining seasoned salt and lemon pepper. Turn and cook for 5 more minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
3) Add additional salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with lemon wedge, if desired. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome. Also really good sprinkled with essence of emmeril or shallot penzy's shallot pepper.

    ReplyDelete