Saturday, December 11, 2010

Breakfast Casserole

I enjoy searching for recipes online and reading cooking blogs. One of the blogs I've discovered in the last year is the Pioneer Woman.  She posted a recipe for SuperSonic Breakfast Burritos a few months ago and I had to try them.  I made these less than a week after she posted the recipe and they were a hit.  I am part of group for mothers of young children at my church and we take turns bringing breakfast.  I really wanted to take the burritos, but there just wasn't a good way to do it...then I realized that the recipe could easily be turned into a breakfast casserole.  I make this in an 8 x 8 pan for my family.  If you wanted to make it in a
9 x 13, increase the eggs to 12, use one pound of sausage, and double the cheese, hot sauce, and milk.
You can also mix this up the day before and bake it the next morning.  Make sure you let the pan sit for about 30 minutes at room temperature before you put it in the oven.



Breakfast Casserole
Mini Tater Tots, thawed (you will need enough to cover the bottom of the dish
1/2 pound Jimmy Dean sage sausage, browned and drained
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
8 eggs
2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
2 dashes hot sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
sour cream
salsa
jalapeno peppers

1) Grease the bottom of an 8 x 8 glass pan.  Place the tater tots on the bottom and add salt and pepper, if desired.
2) Add the sausage and cheese on top of the tater tots.
3) In a blender, combine the eggs, hot sauce, and milk, puree until well blended.  Pour over the tater tots, sausage, and cheese.
4) Bake at 375 for 30 - 40 minutes, or until the center is set.
5) Top with salsa, sour cream, and jalapenos before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment