Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hawaiian Chicken Tacos

I made up this recipe when we ended up with 2/3 can of leftover pineapple after making Hawaiian pizza last week.  I love teriyaki chicken with pineapple, but wanted to find something more creative (and a little more kid-friendly) than stir-fry. Somewhere along the line, Hawaiian chicken tacos were born.  They were a hit at my house with all 4 of us. Even my 3 year-old who is normally very anti-burrito or taco, gobbled up a chicken, cheese, and pineapple burrito. I think this is going to make it into our normal meal rotation! I decided to save a few calories for ice cream after the gym, so I skipped the tortilla on mine and made lettuce wraps.  My husband, son, and I topped our tacos with a little bit of sweet chili sauce, it added the perfect amount to spice and sweetness to the recipe.

Hawaiian Chicken Tacos
Serves 4

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 tablespoon olive or grapeseed oil
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (I used one from food.com)
1 can pineapple chunks, in juice
12 fajita-sized flour tortillas
shredded lettuce
4 oz shredded colby jack cheese
Sweet chili sauce (optional)

1) Heat the olive and sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside (about 10-12 minutes).
2) Add teriyaki sauce, and simmer for 5 minutes over medium-low heat.
3) To assemble taco: place chicken in the bottom of a tortilla, top with pineapple, lettuce, cheese, and sweet chili sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment